Sunday, January 16, 2011

Marian Gaborik Talks About His Benching


Andrew Gross at Ranger Rants has this from Marian Gaborik on whether he was shocked to be benched tonight...
"Yeah," Gaborik said. "Obviously I haven't produced much lately. Obviously, in these types of games, it's a big game. I'm not giving up, I've just got to work harder, just try to get out of it, that's the bottom line. Confidence is a very big part. The last few games, I felt good and we created chances. I think things were happening but it was not going in. It surprised me tonight to get benched. It's the coach's decision, that's the bottom line. I have to produce and help this team win games.

"I've got to score, I've got to score. You definitely want to go out there and prove you should be on the ice."
 I am kind of with Gaborik in his surprise that the benching happened, but it was certainly the right move by coach Tortorella.  Glad to hear Gaborik say that he is going to keep working and the understands he has to score, but like the scenario with Del Zotto talking the right words while feels good is meaningless unless he brings it to the ice. 

Do you think tonight's benching within the game will get Gaborik going? Will the benching only make it worse?  Does Torts need to go further and bench him for a game?