The New York Rangers tallied their first win of the 2011-12 season by defeating the Vancouver Canucks 4-0. That score is in no way indicative of the game that happened in Vancouver this evening. New York scored all their goals in the final 20 minutes and if not for the stellar work of Henrik Lundqvist the Rangers would have been blown out before the final period even began.
Lundqvist was unbelievable on the night making 40 saves to record his 36th career shutout. Lundqvist kept the Rangers alive for two periods as they were outshout 28-9 before the rest of the team decided they wanted to join in on the action.
Mike Rupp kicked off the scoring 2:22 into the final period when he converted a Michael Del Zotto rebound in behind Roberto Luongo. This was the kind of goal the Rangers have not been getting thus far and gave them the surprising 1-0 lead. Lundqvist would be tested and make a couple of huge saves to keep at 1-0 before the Rangers opened the floodgates.
Ryan McDoangh made it 2-0 at 9:57 when he took a beautiful feed from Brandon Dubinsky in the slot and fired it over Luongo’s shoulder. Brian Boyle made it 3-0 when he took a great saucer pass from Ruslan Fedotenko on the type of shift that the line was known for last season. Brandon Prust won a great battle in the defensive zone, played the puck ahead to Fedotenko who found Boyle for the finish.
McDonagh would get in the act again with just 2:21 left when he did his best Brian Leetch impression dancing through the Vancouver defense and finding Marian Gaborik wide open at the side of the net for the tap-in.
- Lundqvist showed tonight that the only thing standing between him and a Vezina, if not a Hart trophy this year is the play of the rest of his team.
- McDonagh was a beast tonight on both ends of the ice and his growth continues to astound.
- Del Zotto was excellent on the goal and then proceeded to screw up much of the good will immediately after when Edler schooled him and then took a penalty.
- Brandon Dubinsky has been awful so far this year and his penalties are hurting the team severely.
- Callahan has done little to nothing since the first game
- Prust went from benched and in the doghouse during the second period to have two assists
- The penalties still need to end